Announcements‎ > ‎

Sleat and Strath win close cup final

posted 13 Sep 2011, 12:32 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 1 Sep 2012, 14:31 by Sleat and Strath AFC ]

Sleat and Strath took on Kyleakin in the Ewan MacRae Cup final on Saturday past. Kyleakin had been the only team to provide a challenge to Sleat and Strath all season, and with a couple of the Sleat and Straths first team players missing, Kyleakin had every chance to win the cup.

It was Sleat and Strath however who came flying out of the starting blocks, Ben Yoxon firing in from close for a 1-0 lead with only 2 minutes on the clock. Sleat and Strath then extended their lead thanks to top scorer Gordy with a fine strike from the edge of the box. Kyleakin pulled one back just before half time to dampen the dressing room atmosphere.

That goal seemed to give Kyleakin a lift as they started the second half the stronger team, and deserved the equaliser that they scored. Sleat and Strath then kicked themselves into gear, and with a couple of changes to the midfield and pushing Connaire up front, started to get on top of the game. Almost straight after taking up the forward role, Connaire found himself on the end of a through ball and nutmegged the Kyleakin keeper to regain the lead.

Sleat and Straths celebrations were short lived though, as Kyleakin went straight up the pitch and levelled the game once more. Substitute John MacInnes then showed a glimpse of the player he has the talent to become, with an excellent touch to beat the Kyleakin defender before moving into the box and chipping the out-rushing keeper.

With only minutes left Kyleakin pushed forward in hope of a third equalising goal. However they left themselves open to a fast break, and Ben Yoxon had the pace and finish to get his second and Sleat and Straths fifth of the night, that lead to Sleat and Strath taking home the cup, and Ben picking up the man-of-the-match award.

In the other cup final played earlier that day, Portree Juniors beat Plockton 1-0 to win their first ever cup.