Announcements‎ > ‎

Picking themselves up and picking up points

posted 11 Jul 2012, 06:03 by Sleat and Strath AFC   [ updated 1 Sep 2012, 14:33 ]
In our last post we discussed the difficult week that Sleat & Strath had lined up for them. Unfortunately that week ended in further disappointment as they lost 4 - 2 to Muir of Ord in the Highland Amateur Quarter Final match that was played in Kyleakin on Saturday 30th June. 

The match was played in difficult, slippery conditions and it was Sleat & Strath who took a rather fortuitous lead. John Davie with a long punt up the pitch looking for Gordy. Gordy misjudged the jump and the ball went over him and his marker, but the Muir of Ord keeper had made a rush out to challenge the Sleat & Strath forward had he collected the ball. The ball took a bounce, and the Muir of Ord keeper was suddenly stuck having to go for the ball, but he also misread the bounce and the ball looped over him and trickled all the way into the net. The Sleat & Strath team all ran back to their keeper to congratulate him, while his opposite number was left to hide his blushes, kicking his post in anger.

The rest of the first half was a fairly scrappy affair, with the ball spending too much time in the air and neither side really being able to get a hold of possession. The officials didn't help the matter either as several dubious off side decisions were called against Sleat & Strath. Just before half time, the resulting free kick from one of these decisions lead to an equaliser. The ball was punted into the box, Sandy went up for the header, but the ball bounced off the back of a Muir of Ord player who reacted quicker to stab the ball into the back of the net.

Early into the second half and Muir of Ord took the lead with a well struck volley from the edge of the area that looped into the corner of the net. They bagged a 3rd almost straight away and Sleat & Strath then were faced with a difficult task. 

Finally a decision went Sleat & Straths way as Muir of Ord were denied a penalty claim. Sleat & Strath broke away immediately and Callum Mattinson bundled the ball in to give the team a life line.

It wasn't to be however as 10 minutes later Muir of Ord scored again to make it 4 - 2, the wet ball proving too difficult for John Davie to keep out. Sleat & Strath continued to battle to the end, especially Connaire Yoxon who tried several runs with the ball, but always found himself crowed out by 3 and sometimes 4 Muir of Ord players!

The boys will have felt disappointed to lose, as at half time the feeling was if they had got the ball down and played they would have come away with the win, but the conditions more than anything prevented that. However they can certainly be proud of reaching the Quarter Finals of the competition, far beyond any other Skye and Lochalsh team.

And the boys did pick themselves up since, beating both Plockton and Glenelg in the league. 

The Plockton game was crucial, as while Sleat & Strath lead through Callum Mattinson at half time, they found themselves 2 - 1 down 60mins in. The boys were able to battle back through an own goal, and another from Jamie Graham to take the lead, with Connaire scoring right at the end to make it a 4 - 2 win.

The Glenelg match was a more straight forward affair as Sleat & Strath ran out 8 - 0 winners against the visitors who only brought 9 players. Gordy took his fair share of the goals with a hattrick, but credit to Glenelg in keeping the score down in such conditions.

With the busy schedule, the team have had no training sessions in almost two months, and the manager is looking forward to running some drills before the Ross Cup 2nd round fixture against Portree Juniors this Saturday coming.