Announcement from the SLAFA

posted 18 Aug 2015, 02:24 by Ben MacKinnon


Adult Players:

We all have a responsibility to promote high standards of behaviour in the game.

Players tell us they want a referee for every match, yet match officials drop out because of the abuse and intimidation they receive on and off the pitch. Respect your referee today and help us ensure the continuing involvement of referees in the amateur game.

Play your part and observe The SAFA’s Code of Conduct for players at all times.

On and off the field, I will:

  • Adhere to the Laws of the Game
  • Display and promote high standards of behaviour
  • Promote Fair Play
  • Always respect the match officials’ decisions

I understand that if I do not follow the Code, any/all of the following actions may be taken by my club, my leaguer or the SAFA:

  • Be required to apologise to team-mates, the other team, referee or team manager
  • Receive a warning from the coach
  • Receive a written warning from the club committee
  • Be required to attend an FA education course
  • Be dropped or substituted
  • Be suspended from training
  • Not be selected for the team
  • Be required to serve a suspension
  • Be fined
  • Be required to leave the club.
  • The League/SAFA could impose a fine and/ or suspension on the club.


  • Never engage in public criticism of the match officials
  • Never engage in offensive, insulting or abusive language or behaviour
  • Never engage in bullying, intimidation or harassment
  • Speak to my team-mates, the opposition and my coach/manager with respect
  • We all make mistakes.
  • Win or lose with dignity. Shake hands with the opposing team and the referee at the end of every game.

Coaches, Team Managers and Club Officials:

We all have a responsibility to promote high standards of behaviour in the game.

Behaviour on sidelines is one of the biggest concerns in the game. This includes the abuse of match officials and the unacceptable behaviour of spectators and coaches on the sideline. Respect your referee today and help us ensure the continuing involvement of referees in the amateur game.

Play your part and observe The Scottish Amateur Football Association’s Code of Conduct in everything you do.

On and off the field, I will:

  • Show respect to others involved in the game including match officials, opposition players, coaches, managers, officials and spectators
  • Adhere to the laws and spirit of the game
  • Promote Fair Play and high standards of behaviour
  • Always respect the match official’s decision
  • Never enter the field of play without the referee’s permission
  • Never engage in public criticism of the match officials
  • Never engage in, or tolerate, offensive, insulting or abusive language or behaviour.

When working with players, I will:

  • Place the well-being, safety and enjoyment of each player above everything, including winning
  • Explain exactly what I expect of players and what they can expect from me
  • Never engage in or tolerate any form of bullying
  • Develop mutual trust and respect with every player to build their self-esteem
  • Encourage each player to accept responsibility for their own behaviour and performance
  • Ensure all activities I organise are appropriate for the players’ ability level and maturity
  • Co-operate fully with others in football (e.g. officials, doctors, physiotherapists, welfare officers) for each player’s best interests.
I understand that if I do not follow the Code, any/all of the following actions may be taken by my club, league or The SAFA:

  • Required to meet with the club/league
  • Required to meet with the club committee
  • Monitored by another club coach
  • Suspended by the club from attending matches
  • Suspended or fined by the League or SAFA
  • Required to leave or be sacked by the club.

Sleat & Strath pick up first silverware of the season

posted 13 Jun 2014, 13:38 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 13 Jun 2014, 13:39 ]

An impressive run of cup results in a very compact fixture list has seen Sleat & Strath pick up the first trophy available this season.

Starting back on the 10th of May, Sleat & Strath faced a strong Dunvegan side in the 2nd round of the GF MacRae Cup. The manager was absent for the game, so Tony Meechan took charge for the first time since joining as assistant manager. In the end, Sleat & Strath made light work of the Dunvegan side, securing an 8 - 1 scoreline.

The following weekend (Sat 17th) saw Sleat & Strath make a trip through to Inverness for the Highland Amateur Cup 1st round. A hat-trick from Callum Mattinson helped Sleat & Strath return home with a 6 - 1 victory to take them through to the next round, which would see them take on league rivals Portree. 

Before that game was to be played though, the semi finals of the GF MacRae cup was to be played away to Kyleakin. This match was a much tighter affair, with Kyleakin taking an early lead. Sleat & Strath managed to come in at the interval with a 2 - 1 lead thanks to a quick brace from Gordon Mccarroll. He secured with hat-trick and the 3 - 1 result five minutes from the end of the match.

Next up was the Highland Amateur 2nd round match against Portree, just four days after the Kyleakin match. The game was played in Plockton as a neutral venue. This match was by far the tightest in the stretch, even though it took only 2 minutes for James Robertson to give Sleat & Strath a one goal advantage. Portree equalised on the 10th minute, and it remained 1 - 1 through till the 80th minute when Ben Yoxon scored a free kick to put Sleat & Strath ahead. Portree were unravelled at this point, and quick goals from Callum Mattinson and Gordon Mccarroll would see Sleat & Strath finish as 4 - 1 winners. They progress through to the 3rd round against Orkney side Kirkwall Hotspurs. The game is to be played tomorrow (June 14th) in Helmsdale. Kirkwall Hotspurs most recently won their league in 2007.

But there have been more fixtures for Sleat & Strath since then. Back to back games against Portree Juniors in the same week, first of all in the league and then the GF MacRae cup final. It wasn't the best preparation though as Sleat & Strath found themselves 3 - 0 down against Portree Juniors after 60 mins in the league match. The end of the match would turn out to be a frantic affair as in the space of 17 minutes four goals would be scored. However the result went Portree Juniors way, 4 - 3 the final score.

Neither team had time to dwell on the match though, as just three days later they faced each other in the GF MacRae final in Kyleakin. Again it was another tight game, with the teams going in at half time level at one a piece. The second half would be more of the same, and after 90 minutes the scoreline was 2 - 2 and extra time followed. Sleat & Strath proved themselves to have the higher level of stamina, and by the end of extra time had run out 5 - 2 winners. Sleat & Strath are GF MacRae cup holders for the sixth year in a row.

There was no rest for the team though, as a league match against Glenelg had been reorganised for Tuesday due to the cup fixtures. However, the team showed no sign of tiredness and routed Glenelg for a 19 - 0 victory! Gordon Mccarroll picked up seven of the goals to put himself back on top of the clubs top scorers list.

Sleat & Strath off to solid start

posted 15 Apr 2014, 05:48 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 15 Apr 2014, 05:49 ]

Sleat & Strath started off the season with an away trip to Plockton. The Plockton side they faced was one of the best manager DL MacKinnon has seen in years.

Preseason training made the difference for Sleat & Strath though as the team was looking physically strong, and their higher levels of fitness and pace were what made the difference on the day.

Callum Mattinson and Ben Yoxon were just two to pick out for their level of workrate, and they were both rewarded with first half goals. 

Gordon Mccarroll was back in the squad after leaving midway through last season to join Fort William. He could have scored on a number of occasions, however the Plockton goalkeeper was on outstanding form.

He kept Plockton in the game until five minutes from the end of time. It was Ben Yoxon getting his name on the scoresheet again mins, firing a ripper from edge of box.
DL MacKinnon stated that he was as happy with the clean sheet as he was with the three points. He awarded Callum Mattinson the Man of the Match award.

Elsewhere in the league Portree Juniors routed Kyleakin 5 - 1, Glenelg managed a 2 - 2 draw away to GA United, Kyle also drew 1 - 1 at home with Dunvegan, and Portree just came out on top as they travelled to Struan and won 3 - 2.

Highlights from Ewen Macrae Cup Final

posted 29 Oct 2013, 16:25 by Ben MacKinnon

The highlights footage from An La have been provided courtesy of BBC Alba, minus their comments and subtitles. 

In the video are a few clips from the 5-1 victory over GA United, along with an interview in Gaelic from Danny Selfridge, an interview from manager DL, and some footage of prize awards.

Sleat & Strath finish season with impressive cup run

posted 7 Oct 2013, 02:00 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 7 Oct 2013, 02:07 ]

Image courtesy of WHFP
*image courtesy of WHFP
Having already wrapped up the League, GF Macrae and Ross Cups, the only remaining silverware up for grabs was the Ewen Macrae cup. Sleat & Strath had lost in the final of the competition the previous year, and this years draw saw them taking the longest route if they were to reach the final again.

First up were Portree who visited Kinloch on the 7th of September. In a close game where the manager used more of the youngsters who had shown promise in small appearances during the season, Sleat & Strath would eventually run out 5-3 winners, with goals from C. Macrae, D. Selfridge (2), R. Stewart and J. Knowles.

Next to visit Kinloch were Kyleakin. With games between the clubs historically close affairs, this would turn out to be no different. Sleat & Strath took a 2-0 lead early on however, thanks to a first half brace from C. Yoxon, but Kyleakin found their feet in the second half to pull it back to 2-1. They were unable to produce anything further however, and that is how it ended.

This left Sleat & Strath with a final to play against GA United, who had defeated Portree Juniors in the previous round. Penalties were needed to split the teams, after the game and extra time had ended 2-2, and GA United kept their cool to win 4-2 on penalties.

The final was played in Kyleakin, and was the first final that featured GA United since their return to the SLAFA. A full round up of the match can be found on the West Highland Free Press website.

In short, Sleat & Strath had the final wrapped up by half time, with a 5-0 lead. Goals from J. Munley (2), D. Selfridge, B. Yoxon and C. Macrae had put the game beyond GA United, but the second half was a much tighter affair, with GA United pulling a goal back on the 55th minute. However, that was all they could manage, despite several opportunities.

So after the disappointment of last season, Sleat & Strath have absolutely rebounded this year by collecting every domestic trophy available to them. Bar an extended run in the Highland Amateur cup (they were put out by eventual winners Wick Groats) the season couldn't have gone better for Sleat & Strath. A big congratulations to all the players and staff at the club.

Champions 2013

posted 28 Aug 2013, 10:04 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 28 Aug 2013, 10:05 ]

Sleat & Strath were crowned Co-operative league champions at the weekend. As mentioned in our last post, Sleat & Strath only needed 2 points from their final three league games, or a slip up from Portree, in order to secure the title. The first of those three games were against south end rivals Kyleakin at home in Kinloch.

It would only be fitting for Sleat & Strath to win the league against Kyleakin this year, having lost the title to them on the final day of last season. Sleat & Strath made a great start, when just 3 minutes into the game, Connaire Yoxon finished off a fine move that started in defence. On the 18th minute mark they would find themselves two up thanks to James Munley heading in from a cross send into the 6 yard box from Calum Macrae. Kyleakin were struggling for any sort of response, but a fine performance from Normal "Raasay" Gilles in midfield prevented Sleat & Strath killing the game off in the first half.

Kyleakin came back at the hosts in the second half. Sleat & Straths back three of Bruce Neil, Sandy MacAskill and Iain Macpherson were outstanding, and John Davie was more than capable of handling anything that did get through. Kyleakin would put a sting in their own tail just 5 minutes into the second half. Jamie Graham swung in a corner that deflected off the back of a Kyleakin defender and into the net.

"Raasay" would get a reward for his fine performance for the visitors, finding space in the box to head home, but it was too little too late for Kyleakin. Connaire Yoxon once again latching onto a through ball before cooly chipping the keeper from the edge of the box on the 65th minute. And just a minute later, Connaire turned provider with Calum Mattinson latching onto his cross to fire home from close range.

Substitute Ali Spod had the final say on the 88th minute. A good finish inside the box for his debut goal gave Sleat & Strath a 6 - 1 victory, and the three points that secured them the 2013 Co-operative league title!

League could be decided without Sleat & Strath kicking a ball

posted 17 Aug 2013, 00:25 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 17 Aug 2013, 00:27 ]

Sleat & Strath could be crowned league champions later today, despite the fact they aren't playing.

Having gone on an undefeated run since dropping out of the Highland Amatuer Cup to the eventual winners, Wick Groats, Sleat & Strath are 11 points clear of Portree at the top of the table. They need only 2 points to secure the league for themselves, but have a fixture free weekend. However, if GA United were to come away with a victory from their trip to Portree today, then Sleat & Strath will be league champions once more.

The 15 game winning streak that helped put Sleat & Strath in this position, has also seen the team pick up their second trophy of the season, the Ross Cup.

The final, against Portree, was a thrilling affair, with Callum Mattinson scoring the only goal of the goal in the dying minutes of regular time.

Sleat & Strath Pick up first Silverware of the season

posted 4 Jun 2013, 05:24 by Ben MacKinnon

Sleat & Strath faced Kyleakin on Friday night in the final of the GF MacRae Cup.

Kyleakin had defeated Dunvegan 5-1 in the 2nd round, where Sleat & Strath had made light work of 10 man Struan. Both teams had considerably tougher tests in the Semi Finals however, with Sleat & Strath coming back from behind to win in extra-time against Portree Juniors, and Kyleakin needing penalties to get them past Kyle. The Semi Final results, combined with a history of close encounters between the clubs, lead up to what many expected to be a tight final.

The result, in truth, couldn't have been further from that. Sleat & Strath were able to continue the dominant form they had shown in the previous two league fixtures, with the entire team raring to take on their south end rivals. From the minute the game kicked off Sleat & Strath were piling pressure on the Kyleakin goal, and after 15 minutes the pressure paid off. James Robertson was waiting at the back post for a corner, and got his head on it to make it 1-0.

Fifteen minutes later, Jamie Graham made a great run down the left wing before firing in from a tight angle to double Sleat & Straths lead. Gordon MacCarroll then extended the lead further just before half time. From the edge of the box he was able to lift the ball over the Kyleakin goalkeeper for Sleat & Strath to take a 3-0 lead into the interval.

The manager didn't need to give much of a team talk as Sleat & Strath were playing exceptionally well, and the boys looked focused. Shortly after halftime Connaire Yoxon, who was later named Man of the Match, scored to make it 4-0.

And that's how the score stayed, though Kyleakin were lucky it wasn't more, and only managed one shot on goal themselves all game. Sleat & Strath were able to comfortably use all five substitutions to keep legs fresh through to the end of the match. 

The victory saw Sleat & Strath retain the GF MacRae cup for the fifth season in a row. It also perhaps gave them some retribution over for the final league game of last season, where Kyleakin beat Sleat & Strath to claim the title. The two teams will also face each other again this Saturday in the league, with Sleat & Strath currently holding a three point advantage over their opponents, though Kyleakin do have a game in hand.

Sleat & Strath bounce back from HA exit

posted 28 May 2013, 06:48 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 28 May 2013, 06:50 ]

Last Saturday Sleat & Strath faced their biggest test in recent times. A long trip north to face last years Highland Amateur Cup finalists Wick Groats in the second round of this years competition. With some players unable to make the long trip, there were only two substitutes available. 

The team played well during the first half against better opposition. Sleat & Strath had a couple of chances but could make anything count. Wick Groats were leading 1-0 from the 10th minute, but scored again just before the break which settled them down. In the second half they were able to dominate, and injuries to Jamie Hamilton, James Munley and Iain MacPherson meant that Sleat & Strath played the last half hour with only 10 men, having used both their subs. Despite John Davie saving a penalty, Wick Groats ran out 7-0 winners by the end. 

With the high physical level of the Highland Amateur game, and the injuries sustained to some players, there were real doubts that Sleat & Strath would have a full strength squad to face Dunvegan at home in the league on Tuesday night. Fortunately most had recovered, and only Jamie Hamilton was missing with a pulled groin. The manager switched the formation to a 3-4-3 and focused the team on attack from the start. 

And attack they did. James Robertson put them in the lead just 10 mins into the game. By halftime they were leading 4-1, with goals from James Munley, Ben Yoxon and Callum Mattinson. The second half was a carbon copy, the match ending 8-2. Callum Mattinson completed a hat trick, along with another from Ben Yoxon and Gordon MacCarroll having the final say.

For their third fixture in seven days, Sleat & Strath headed over to Glenelg on Friday night. The manager chose to stick with the attacking 3-4-3 formation used against Dunvegan, and again it paid off to devastating effect. Despite the score only being 2-0 at halftime, Sleat & Strath were in total control. The higher level of endurance, and fresher legs of those like Fraser Graham who had come into the starting lineup proved too much for Glenelg in the second half and the match ended 10-0. Gordon MacCarroll stamped his authority as the leading scorer by bagging six of the goals. Callum Mattinson picked up two, with Ben Yoxon and Richard Stewart, on as a substitute, also getting their names on the scoresheet.

With all the dust settled, Sleat & Strath have a 3 point lead in the league table over Portree and Kyleakin, although both teams have a game in hand against Sleat & Strath. Sleat & Straths next opponents are Kyleakin in the GF MacRae Cup Final. The game will be played in Kyleakin on Friday night, with a 19:15 kick off scheduled. Make sure to head along and support the team in their bid at the first silverware in what is sure to be a cracking match.

Sleat & Strath come back to reach GF MacRae Final

posted 27 May 2013, 03:30 by Ben MacKinnon   [ updated 27 May 2013, 03:31 ]

Sleat & Strath were in Portree on Tuesday night (14th) for the semi final of the GF MacRae cup against Portree Juniors. During a busy fixture period for the club, the manager looked to make some changes from the last game to keep players fresh. 

Sleat & Strath didn't get off to the best of starts. They were taking risks and playing dangerous pass backs to the goalkeeper on a wet surface. Having rode their luck all night, just before half time they were punished. Portree Juniors took the one goal lead into the break, and the manager had some strong words for the Sleat & Strath players. Unfortunately it seemed to have no effect as on the 65th minute Juniors would go two up with a long ball over the top, Juniors Murphy proving too strong for MacPhearson to handle and bulldozed his way home. 

J. Robertson had not had a great night up front for Sleat & Strath, and after the second goal he was replaced for Fraser Graham, allowing Callum Mattinson to move to his usual role up front alongside Gordy MacCarroll. With fifteen minutes left to play, it looked as if Sleat & Strath would be missing out on the chance for the first available silverware of the season. Sleat & Strath were awarded a free kick and there was only one name in consideration for taking it. Gordy hit it perfectly to bring Sleat & Strath within one.

With only five minutes left on the clock, Sleat & Strath won another free kick, and again Gordy took it. Once more he finished it well and had forced extra time when all had seemed lost.

Sleat & Strath had clearly had the edge in the later parts of the game, but with extra time they would also need to prove they had the extra legs. Callum Mattinson is well known for his high work rate  so it was no surprise that he would score. Two goals from him five minutes either side of extra times half time gave Sleat & Strath a 4 - 2 win that sees them progress to the final, and earned him the Man of the Match.

The other semi final that night was an equally close affair. Kyleakin ran out winner on penalties against Kyle after a 2 - 2 draw. As such, Sleat & Strath will face Kyleakin on Friday 31st for the final. Venue and kick off time yet to be confirmed.

1-10 of 85